Re: [EToSat] TR: New Version Notification for draft-kuhn-quic-4-sat-04.txt

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 23 April 2020 09:22 UTC

To: Lars Eggert <lars@eggert.org>, Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>
Cc: Kuhn Nicolas <nicolas.kuhn@cnes.fr>, "etosat@ietf.org" <etosat@ietf.org>, "Border, John" <John.Border@hughes.com>, "emile.stephan@orange.com" <emile.stephan@orange.com>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 10:22:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [EToSat] TR: New Version Notification for draft-kuhn-quic-4-sat-04.txt

I think we do need to be quite careful here!

Filling a pipe with a flow could be a goal for some cases, although I
don't think it is typical, if we consider the higher capacity paths.
Multiple flows per bottleneck are often more important, and then we have
the usual CC questions about RTT distribution, randomness of flow start,
etc.

For startup, it's also really important to think about the arrival of
new flows into an already congested pipe. I like to start with two very
specific questions:

* What happens in the first actual path RTT of time? - Anything sent
before feedback from the remote endpoint can lead to congestion
collapse, because the sender does not know the situation. So a stupid
method that says "last time I sent at X Mbps" so this time I will do
also, inevitably ends in collapse. Initial entry into the pipe has to be
conservative. We seem to agree that 1 packet/RTT is a safe starting
point. IW=10 revises this to, "if IW=10 worked last time, you can try
again" - conversely if it did not, you should not.

* After one RTT, did *everything* that was sent make it through? i.e.,
was the path as expected? Then, and only then, a sender may have reason
to be optimistic that you are not already observing congestion collapse.
That means the sender can *then* probe for capacity and retreat from
congestion. How you do that depends...

Without surprise, TCP does both of these, in it's syn exchange and CC.

I think QUIC currently is a poor citizen with respect to avoiding
congestion collapse (It has an initial RTO of 100s of ms, while sending
a large initial segment and aggresively using IW=10) - perhaps because
it assumes well-provisioned broadband? Anyhow this isn't nice if you are
stuck for capacity, and we need to think about that initial RTT of data,
before we think about CC.

Gorry