Re: [EToSat] Packet lost on last mile network?

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Wed, 20 May 2020 09:27 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 11:27:11 +0200
Cc: Nitay Argov <Nitay@gilat.com>, Kuhn Nicolas <Nicolas.Kuhn@cnes.fr>, "etosat@ietf.org" <etosat@ietf.org>
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>
Subject: Re: [EToSat] Packet lost on last mile network?

On 2020-05-13, at 17:49, Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net> wrote:

> I am running simulations of that lossy configuration as part of the Picoquic test suite. When using BBR, I observe that the large transfer over a high speed link takes a couple seconds more than in the absence of losses. The issue is not congestion, and not even the 1.6% bandwidth consumed by error correction. The problem is the cascade: some of the corrections of lost packets will be lost again, which causes several rounds of retransmission at the end of the transfer.

Hi Christian,

Since you have data about these cascades, I’ll ask you my curious question:  What is the timing of these?  How long would the WiFi segment had time to do a local retransmission?

Of course, I’m asking this in the context of LOOPS (loops@ietf.org), which is meeting next week in order to nail down its initial charter proposal; support for WiFi “last miles” has always been proposed as a possible subject.

Grüße, Carsten