Re: [Extra] SNIPPET (now PREVIEW) draft update

Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi> Thu, 08 November 2018 14:08 UTC

From: Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 16:08:00 +0200
Cc: extra@ietf.org
To: Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmailteam.com>
Subject: Re: [Extra] SNIPPET (now PREVIEW) draft update

Hmm. You're talking about octets and so far Dovecot (and Michael's draft) has been talking about characters. So with a maximum of 4 bytes per UTF-8 character and Dovecot's current 100 character limit, it could already be sending 400 octets..

We chose characters rather than octets because it makes more sense from the client's point of view to show approximately the same amount of text no matter what characters are being used.