DHUNT@enr.prime.com Tue, 13 February 1990 23:41 UTC

To: fddi@merit.edu
From: DHUNT@enr.prime.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1990 18:42:04 -0500

To:       katz@merit.edu
Cc:       fddi@merit.edu
From:     doug (dhunt@enr)
Date:     13 Feb 90  6:17 PM
Subject:  comments on draft minutes

Dave,

My comments on the draft minutes relate to the need for a timely production
of the dual-MAC solution.  At the end of section 2, the draft states
that the single subnetwork solution (which is an important one for
dual-MAC stations) ..."is going to be a comparatively long process."
At the end of section 3, the draft notes the plan to create a new
working group to address "'multi-rail' LANs, of which FDDI is a
specific case...".

At the meeting I stated that it will be important, in an effort to
be even-handed, and so as not to delay an important class of
dual-MAC solutions, that developing the single subnetwork solution
be done as quickly as possible.  Regarding "multi-rail" lan models, I
stated that regardless of whatever interest there may be in that area,
it is important that the work that is underway to support the
two-ring FDDI model be completed as soon as possible.  I noted that
there is a real danger of getting sidetracked in investigating models
rather than of producing solutions needed for FDDI.  I made both
these statements to stress that delays in this work will in turn delay
an important class of dual-MAC solutions.

Doug
  •   DHUNT