single attach doc

Richard Fox <rfox@synoptics.com> Tue, 26 February 1991 01:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 1991 17:33:59 -0800
From: Richard Fox <rfox@synoptics.com>
To: fddi@merit.edu
Subject: single attach doc

A few IETF's ago there was some concern over allowing single attach stations to
attach to the secondary ring. Basically it was pointed out that allowing
single attached stations on both rings can break IP. At the last meeting
James Reeves promised that we would post a document that attempted to
solve the problem. Enclosed you will find a draft document that
attempts to solve the problem without violating either IP or FDDI and
makes use of the Extended ARP protocol developed by this working
group.

If you have any questions/concerns please forward them to me and we
can either discuss this in St. Louis or via mail. If there are no
major problems with this document then I will publish it as an
informational RFC.

thanks rich

----------- cut here -----------------------

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

               Definition of a Proxy IP Bridge for an FDDI Network

                                     9/10/90

                                   Richard Fox

                          SynOptics Communications Inc.

                                rfox@synoptics.com

          The FDDI[1,2] standard is dual counter rotating ring
          technology that allows stations to attach directly to both
          rings or to attach to a single ring through a concentrator.
          The standard does not place any limitations on which ring
          single attached stations must connect to. Thus, some stations
          may be connected on the primary ring only, while others are
          only on the secondary ring. Some configurations of an FDDI
          network topology are believed to break certain IP[3] network
          configurations by creating a discontiguous IP network where
          not all stations on the same IP subnet can communicate.  This
          document will provide a solution that  will allow any
          configuration of single attached stations to an FDDI ring such
          that IP integrity is maintained. The solution provided can be
          thought of as an IP extension of a MAC layer bridge connecting
          the two rings together or as an algorithm that is located on
          any dual MAC dual attached device. Also, the solution uses a
          mechanism called Extended ARP[4] which is an extension of the
          ARP[5] protocol to be used on technologies that allow dual
          attached stations to a network, such as FDDI.

          Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

          1.  Introduction

          The FDDI[1,2] standard is a dual counter rotating ring
          technology that allows stations to attach directly to both
          rings or to attach to a single ring through a concentrator.

          Richard Fox                                           [Page 1]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

          The standard also allows both rings to be used for data
          traffic simultaneously, placing no limitations on which ring
          single attached stations must be connected to.  Thus, the
          configuration pictured in figure 1 and figure 2 are both legal
          FDDI network configurations.

          Richard Fox                                           [Page 2]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

                        ---------------               ---------------
                        |             |               |             |
                        |             |               |             |
                        | Station A   |               | Station B   |
                        |             |               |             |
                        -------|-------               -------|-------
                               |                             |
                               |                             |
                 /-------------|-----------------------------|-------------\
                 |     /---------------------------------------------\     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                \|/   /|\                                           /|\   \/
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     \------------------------|--------------------/     |
                 |                              |                          |
                 |                              |                          |
                 \------------------------|-----|--------------------------/
                                          |     |
                                          |     |
                                          |     |
                                      ----|-----|----
                                      |             |
                                      |             |
                                      | Station C   |
                                      |             |
                                      ---------------

                                        figure 1

          Richard Fox                                           [Page 3]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

                        ---------------               ---------------
                        |             |               |             |
                        |             |               |             |
                        | Station A   |               | Station B   |
                        |             |               |             |
                        -------|-------               -------|-------
                               |                             |
                               |                             |
                 /-------------|-----------------------------|-------------\
                 |                                           |             |
                 |                                           |             |
                 |     /-------------------------------------|-------\     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                \|/   /|\                                           /|\   \|/
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     \------------------------|--------------------/     |
                 |                              |                          |
                 |                              |                          |
                 \------------------------|-----|--------------------------/
                                          |     |
                                          |     |
                                          |     |
                                      ----|-----|----
                                      |             |
                                      |             |
                                      | Station C   |
                                      |             |
                                      ---------------

                                        figure 2

          Dual ring technologies that allow  both rings to contain data

          Richard Fox                                           [Page 4]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

          traffic simultaneously have many advantages. Three notable
          advantages of a dual ring technology like FDDI are load
          balancing, data aggregation, and transparent fault recovery.

          Load balancing allows traffic to be split among the two rings
          to meet some required optimization on the LAN. A common
          example of load balancing is to split traffic between the
          rings where one ring is used for high bandwidth requirements
          and the other ring is used for applications requiring good
          response time. For instance, one might restrict telnets[6]
          (good response time) to the primary ring and restrict ftps[7]
          (high bandwidth) to the secondary ring. Another example of
          load balancing is to put a companies accounting department on
          one ring and the engineering department on the other ring,
          with the dual MAC, dual attached stations being used by the
          executive management staff to oversee all company activities.

          Data aggregation is where a station takes full use of both
          rings to achieve a throughput greater than the 100 megabits of
          a single ring. For instance, two dual MAC, dual attached
          stations may set up an ftp where both rings are used to move
          the data in order to fully utilize the 200 megabits for a
          single file transfer.

          Transparent fault recovery is the ability of the network to
          reconfigure in the event of a hardware failure such that upper
          layer protocols continue to work without any outside
          intervention. In fact, the recovery should happen without the
          upper layer protocols even being aware that recovery is taking
          place. For instance when a station loses a MAC and the goes
          into wrap state, upper layer protocol connections should not
          break, but should continue to operate using a working MAC on
          the station. This feature is possible by the use of the
          Extended ARP solution.

          For upper layer protocols like TCP[8]/IP to take full
          advantage of these benefits, care must be taken to make sure
          that basic principles of the protocol are not broken by the
          configuration of the technology on the layer below. In IP,
          care must be taken to assure that the two FDDI rings do not
          fragment an IP subnet or cause an IP subnet to become
          discontiguous. Figure 3 shows an IP configuration mapped onto
          a legal FDDI network. In this example all stations belong to
          IP subnet X. However, with no bridge on the network, station A
          and station B cannot communicate, thus creating a

          Richard Fox                                           [Page 5]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

          discontiguous IP subnet. In fact, it is this configuration of
          IP over FDDI that has caused many to advocate that all single
          attached devices, like A and B in figure 3, be connected to
          the primary ring only, as depicted in figure 1.

                        ---------------               ---------------
                        |             |               |             |
                        | Station A   |               | Station B   |
                        |             |               |             |
                        | IP Subnet X |               | IP Subnet X |
                        -------|-------               -------|-------
                               |                             |
                               |                             |
                 /-------------|-----------------------------|-------------\
                 |                                           |             |
                 |                                           |             |
                 |     /-------------------------------------|-------\     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                \|/   /|\                                           /|\   \|/
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     |                                             |     |
                 |     \------------------------|--------------------/     |
                 |                              |                          |
                 |                              |                          |
                 \------------------------|-----|--------------------------/
                                          |     |
                                          |     |
                                          |     |
                                      ----|-----|----
                                      |             |
                                      | Station C   |
                                      |             |
                                      | IP Subnet X |
                                      ---------------

          Richard Fox                                           [Page 6]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

                                        figure 3

          Providing a pure IEEE MAC layer bridge[13] between the two
          rings of an FDDI network solves the connectivity problem of
          IP. However, it does this by simulating an FDDI wrap condition
          (ie: combining the two rings into one ring), thus compromising
          the advantages that FDDI provides. While the advantages listed
          above may be possible, they can not be guaranteed.  Instead,
          they depend on a number of events occurring in a certain
          sequence. As an example, assume that the goal is to achieve
          data aggregation so that two stations can communicate at 200
          megabits/second.  If the bridge has not learned[13] the MAC
          addresses of the two dual MAC dual attach stations it will
          forward all frames destined to these stations until the MACs
          are learned (read [13] for exact details). During this
          learning phase it is very likely that an Extended ARP[4]
          request from one ring will be bridged, or forwarded, to the
          other ring. This may cause the destination to cache the wrong
          source MAC address causing all frames sent between the two
          stations to be bridged, limiting the throughput to the
          forwarding rate of the bridge, with a maximum throughput rate
          of 100 megabits/second.

          This paper proposes an algorithm that allows any configuration
          of IP on an FDDI ring such that the three advantages of FDDI
          listed above are realized.  The algorithm may be put on a pure
          IEEE MAC layer bridge as an IP extension or on any dual MAC
          dual attached device attached directly on the FDDI trunk ring.
          The algorithm provides a contiguous view of an IP subnet in
          all of the possible configurations of an FDDI ring, including
          a configuration where single attached stations are attached to
          both the primary and secondary rings. Section 2 describes the
          various configurations that can exist in IP over FDDI with
          single attached stations.  Section 3 provides a solution to
          the problem depicted in figure 3.  Section 4 will take another
          look at section 3 with the addition of IP routers to the ring,
          and section 5 will deal with open issues and other
          implementation considerations, such as twisted rings and
          performance considerations.

          Richard Fox                                           [Page 7]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

          2.  Configurations of Single Attached Stations in an IP/FDDI
          Environment

          Figure 2 shows a configuration of an FDDI network where there
          is a single attached station on the primary ring and one on
          the secondary ring. There are a number of IP configurations
          that can be mapped onto this configuration. This section will
          look at each of the configurations in detail, determining if
          the IP mapped configuration onto the FDDI ring breaks IP when
          the FDDI ring is in thru mode or in wrapped mode. A third
          configuration that an FDDI ring can be in is called twisted.
          This mode is discussed in section 5.

          The IP configurations that will be described are all based on
          figure 2. The configurations are:

            Case 1. All interfaces (MACs) on the primary ring belong to IP subnet X,
                  while all interfaces on the secondary ring belong to IP subnet Y.
                  This means station C belongs to two IP networks (X & Y).

            Case 2. Same as case #1 except station C (dual attached stations) use the
                  same IP subnet (X) on both rings. This means that A and C are part
                  of the same IP network but C is no longer part of the same IP
                  network as B.

            Case 3. All stations have the same IP subnet (X) regardless of which rings
                  the stations are attached to. This is equivalent to figure 3.

          2.1.  Case 1: Different Networks

          Networks comprised of different physical cables normally
          assign each physical cable a different IP subnet network
          number unless a bridge is used to connect the cables. This
          case treats the dual counter rotating rings of FDDI as two
          separate networks containing no bridges between the two rings.
          In this configuration each ring is assigned a separate IP
          network.

          This mapping of IP over FDDI does not benefit from the data
          aggregation or transparent fault recovery benefits listed in
          the introduction. However, this configuration may be widely
          used since it benefits from implicit load balancing. Load
          balancing is achieved since stations can be attached to the
          rings based on local traffic requirements.

          Richard Fox                                           [Page 8]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

          2.1.1.  Case 1: In Thru Mode

          While in thru mode, the FDDI ring acts like two separate
          networks. For station A and station B to communicate, a path
          using routers must exist from the primary ring to the
          secondary ring (C could be a router). If no router exists,
          then A and B will not be able to communicate, even though they
          are on the same FDDI ring network. There is no IP requirement
          that mandates that stations from different IP networks must be
          able to communicate, thus the integrity of IP is maintained in
          this mapping of IP over FDDI while in thru mode.

          2.1.2.  Case 1: In Wrapped Mode

          When an FDDI ring wraps, both the primary and secondary rings
          combine to form one logical ring[1,2,9]. The affect a wrap has
          on IP in this configuration is that the two IP networks X and
          Y, which used to be on different logical rings, are now
          combined onto the same logical ring. This configuration is a
          legal IP configuration (one that is in use today), but care
          must be taken to insure that the network can still function.
          [10,11] gives some useful suggestions on how to eliminate ARP
          storms and other problems that can occur when two IP subnets
          are on the same physical cable.

          2.2.  Case 2: Dual stations using 1 IP Network

          In this case, dual MAC, dual attached stations may use the
          same IP network address for both MACs (station C in figure 1).
          This means that in figure 2, station A and station C are part
          of the same IP network, while station B is not. The benefits
          mentioned in the introduction will be realized by the dual
          MAC, dual attached stations that use the same IP address for
          both MACs, while all other stations will only realize the
          benefit as stated in section 2.1.

          2.2.1.  Case 2: In Thru Mode

          While in thru mode, the FDDI ring acts like two networks
          slightly overlapped. In other words, both rings may have
          stations from either of the two IP networks (X & Y). As long
          as all single attached stations belonging to the same IP

          Richard Fox                                           [Page 9]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

          network are on the same ring, IP integrity is not broken.

          IP integrity is not jeopardized, since all stations on the
          same IP network are directly reachable by all other stations
          on the same IP network. If the Extended ARP protocol is used,
          dual MAC, dual attached stations can take advantage of the
          benefits listed in the introduction section, since the
          Extended ARP protocol can determine when stations are on both
          rings. However, when a dual MAC, dual attached station is
          speaking to a single attached station, the Extended ARP
          protocol will fail, and stations will default back to using
          standard ARP. Using Standard ARP will guarantee that single
          attached stations and dual MAC, dual attached stations on the
          same IP network, will be able to communicate using only the
          ring that the single attached station is connected to.

          2.2.2.  Case 2: In Wrapped Mode

          Case 2 in wrapped mode is identical to case 1 when in wrapped
          mode. The same arguments detailed in section 2.1.2 apply to
          this case. Thus, this case does not violate IP. However, when
          the ring transitions from wrapped mode back to thru mode,
          stations arp tables may now contain invalid IP to MAC address
          mappings as described in section 3.1.3. To avoid this problem
          the steps in section 3.1.3.1 should be followed.

          2.3.  Case 3: Both Rings Use Same IP Network

          In this case, all FDDI MACs are part of the same IP network
          regardless of which ring the MACs are attached. This
          configuration allows every dual MAC, dual attached station to
          take full advantage of the benefits listed in the
          introduction. This example assumes the absence of bridges.

          2.3.1.  Case 3: In Thru Mode

          While in thru mode, there will be stations on the primary ring
          that can not talk to  stations on the secondary ring without
          the aid of a MAC bridge. Since we assumed that there were no
          bridges between the two rings for this example, the IP network
          is not contiguous, thus the integrity of IP is broken.

          Richard Fox                                          [Page 10]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

          IP is broken internally to the IP network since not all
          stations within the same IP network can speak to all other
          stations that are part of the same network. A solution that
          fixes this internal network problem is given in section 3.
          This configuration can also result in breaking IP to the
          external world. This external problem is discussed in section
          4.

          In the absence of a solution, it has been proposed that having
          only one IP network per FDDI network is allowed with the
          constraint that all single attached stations being connected
          to the primary ring only. Section 3 should show that this
          constraint is no longer valid and section 5.1 should show why
          this assumption is invalid regardless of this proposal.

          2.3.2.  Case 3: In Wrapped Mode

          In this case when the ring is wrapped, all stations can speak
          to all other stations. In other words the IP network is one
          contiguous network where all stations within the network can
          talk to all other station within the same network.

          An interesting side effect of wrapping, is now stations that
          could not communicate in thru mode, can now communicate. As
          soon as the ring transitions back to thru mode, these stations
          will again, not be able to communicate to one another without
          the aid of a bridge.

          3.  Proxy IP Bridging

          It has been advocated that single attached stations be
          required to all be attached to the primary ring in an FDDI
          environment because of the problem discussed in section 2.3.1.
          This would be a serious limitation that the FDDI community
          feels has been unjustly mandated, since one of the main
          features of FDDI is the flexibility of ring configurations and
          fault recovery. Also, section 5.1 shows why forcing this
          restriction is an INVALID thing to do. In this section, a
          proposal is presented that should solve the problem of section
          2.3.1, such that, both the IP community and the FDDI community
          can fully utilize the technology of having dual rings without
          sacrificing the integrity of IP.

          Richard Fox                                          [Page 11]

          Internet Draft         Proxy IP Bridge                 2/10/91

          The solution defined in this document provides an extension to
          a dual MAC dual attached device attached to the FDDI trunk
          ring by adding simple bridging  support for IP. It does this
          by manipulating Extended ARP[4] and ARP[5] frames in such a
          manner that it bridges IP traffic from one ring to the other
          when necessary to maintain IP integrity. A device that
          provides this type of bridging functionality is termed a proxy
          IP bridge.

          The requirements of a proxy IP bridge can be summarized as the
          following:

            -  respond to Standard ARPs for those stations that are
               single attached stations, such that the Standard ARP is