Re: EARP

Vernon Schryver <vjs%rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com@sgi.com> Fri, 07 September 1990 21:20 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Sep 1990 14:20:36 -0700
From: Vernon Schryver <vjs%rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com@sgi.com>
To: fddi@merit.edu
Subject: Re: EARP

> From: "NI1D @FN42eq" <koning@koning.enet.dec.com>
>
> The reason for not using the ARP Hardware Type field (by itself) to
> identify EARP is that some implementations ignore that field.

Good point.

> By "Protocol_ID" I meant the 5-byte field that follows the AA-AA-03 --
> for example, in ARP that is 00-00-00-08-06.  One alternative is to
> use 00-00-00 for the first 3 bytes, in which case the task amounts to
> getting another EtherType.  Xerox (I assume still) hands those out.
> If you don't insist on an EtherType (i.e., you're willing to accept
> values other than 00-00-00 in the first 3 bytes of the Protocol_ID) then
> there are lots of others that could provide the value, probably sooner.

It is possible that some vendor might have a spare Xerox EtherType to
contribute to the cause.  For example, last year Silicon Graphics gave an
EtherType that had long ago been assigned to a protocol that faded to a
company that is now working on a new protocol.  I fear we don't have any
more spares; does anyone else?

> As for the question of what the Hardware Type field in the EARP message
> should be: I would propose that there should be no such field!  The reason
> is that it's presence in the ARP message has been a source of hassle and
> does not in fact serve any purpose.

seems reasonable.

vjs