Re: Question about MIB-II's .. evolves into NM question/answer

Anil Rijsinghani <anil@levers.enet.dec.com> Tue, 08 June 1993 18:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1993 13:58:59 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Anil Rijsinghani <anil@levers.enet.dec.com>
To: magill@dccs.upenn.edu
Cc: snmp@psi.com, fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu
Apparently-To: fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu, snmp@psi.com, magill@dccs.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: Question about MIB-II's .. evolves into NM question/answer

    Token counts (see extract below) and Ring Latency together
    can be used to determine FDDI utilization. (the latter is an
    optional variable in SMT and is not specified in IETF FDDI MIB;
    it'll probably end up in vendor mibs for products which implement
    it.)

    Anil

    ps: I should have said 32-bit below, not 32-byte!

          fddimibMACTokenCts OBJECT-TYPE
              SYNTAX  Counter
              ACCESS  read-only
              STATUS  mandatory
              DESCRIPTION
                      "A count that should as closely as possible match
                      the number of times the station has received a
                      token (total of non- restricted and restricted) on
                      this MAC (see ANSI MAC 7.4). This count is
                      valuable for determination of network load."
              REFERENCE
                      "ANSI { fddiMAC 74 }"
              ::= { fddimibMACCountersEntry 1 }