Re: [Fecframe] fecframe WGLCs

Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inria.fr> Thu, 08 March 2012 15:37 UTC

From: Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:37:08 +0100
To: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
Cc: fecframe@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Fecframe] fecframe WGLCs

Hello David,

You're perfectly right. We did the exercise last year, before accepting
both I-D as WG Items.

1- Concerning LDPC-Staircase codes, you'll find opinions at:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/fecframe/current/msg00816.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/fecframe/current/msg00811.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/fecframe/current/msg00810.html

In the meantime LDPC-Staircase codes have been adopted as the
primary AL-FEC scheme for the Japanese ISDB-Tmm standard.
Both open-source and commercial codecs are available. And if you do
want the check by yourself their performance, you can:
	http://openfec.org

2- Concerning Reed-Solomon codes, they are so commonly used
that I don't think we need any official support.

Cheers,

   Vincent