Re: [Fecframe] I-D Action: draft-ietf-fecframe-ldpc-04.txt

Martin Stiemerling <martin.stiemerling@neclab.eu> Wed, 17 October 2012 15:02 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 17:02:20 +0200
From: Martin Stiemerling <martin.stiemerling@neclab.eu>
To: "Luby, Michael" <luby@qti.qualcomm.com>
Cc: "fecframe@ietf.org" <fecframe@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Fecframe] I-D Action: draft-ietf-fecframe-ldpc-04.txt

Hi Michael,

On 10/17/2012 03:24 PM, Luby, Michael wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> Comments below.
> Best, Mike
>
> On 10/17/12 2:13 AM, "Martin Stiemerling" <martin.stiemerling@neclab.eu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael, all,
>>
>> Thanks for your comments, but I would have wished to see them either
>> during the WG Last Call or latest during IETF LC.
> ***  My comments aren't crucial, and it seems they are going to be ignored
> anyway.  I wish I had time to look at it earlier, but I didn't.  They are
> clarifying comments, and if they aren't incorporated it only means that
> the spec is a little less easy to understand, it isn't earth shattering.

Ok, thanks.

>> Anyhow, apart from the timing, the questions are probably good to be
>> discussed. Especially, as there are IPR declarations for RFC 5170.
> *** I don't understand this comment, as there were no IPR-related comments
> in my feedback.

This is solely meant for discussion and to get any questions resolved.
We have had some discussion during the IESG evaluation if IPR declared
for RFC 5170 is also valid for draft-ietf-fecframe-ldpc. Thus the
linkage between your email and what has happened in the IESG.

This is not out of a bad intention, but it is more your AD which wanted
some more clarity on this.

Thank you,

   Martin

>> Any feedback from the WG?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>    Martin
>>
>> --
>> IETF Transport Area Director
>>
>> martin.stiemerling@neclab.eu
>>
>> NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division NEC Europe Limited
>> Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL
>> Registered in England 283
>>

>> On 10/11/2012 08:23 PM, Luby, Michael wrote:
>>> Some quick comments.
>>>
>>> (1) This proposal relies upon parts of RFC 5170 for the definition of
>>> the
>>> underlying LDPC staircase code.  However, it isn't completely explicit
>>> in
>>> this proposal about what exact parts/sections of RFC 5170 are to be used
>>> in this proposal and how.  It would seem that explicit references to the
>>> particular sections of RFC 5170 that are being used, and exactly how
>>> these
>>> parts of RFC 5170 are being inherited and used, would be useful
>>> (probably
>>> necessary).  Note that there are several codes with different FEC