Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?

Robert Haas <rha@zurich.ibm.com> Wed, 20 October 2004 03:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:07:04 +0200
From: Robert Haas <rha@zurich.ibm.com>
To: "Wang,Weiming" <wmwang@mail.hzic.edu.cn>
Subject: Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?
Cc: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <hormuzd.m.khosravi@intel.com>, ram.gopal@nokia.com, "Steven Blake (petri-meat)" <slblake@petri-meat.com>, zsolt@nc.rr.com, "Joel M. Halpern" <jhalpern@MEGISTO.com>, forces-protocol@ietf.org, hadi@znyx.com, Alan DeKok <alan.dekok@idt.com>, "Deleganes, Ellen M" <ellen.m.deleganes@intel.com>, "Yang, Lily L" <lily.l.yang@intel.com>
Sender: forces-protocol-bounces@ietf.org

I think Zsolt has specified the multicast at LFB Instance-level very
well. We had some discussions with Joel a while back and such a table
with pointers from a -virtualID- to a list of LFB Instances was
considered the way to go.

But the subtle difference betwen Zsolt's proposal and the current
approach taken in the protocol draft is that the PL-message destination
ID is the -virtualID-, instead of introducing a new MIID. See Section 5
point g in the protocol draft.

I would favor the current approach for the following reasons (but I am
not religious and want to hear other opinions):

1)  -virtualID- must be unique NE-wide. The PL-level addressing IDs are
by definition unique NE-wide.

2)  Messages addressed to a group of LFBs that spans FE A and B should
not be delivered to FE C. So a PL-level multicasting is anyway needed .
Adding an additional MIID would then be redundant.

To cover the case of a list of LFB Instances (reminds me of xcast ;-) we
can modify the LFBSelect TLV as follows:

main hdr (eg type = config)

+--- T = LFBselect
     |        |
     |        +-- LFBCLASSID = target LFB class
     |        |
     |        |
     |        +-- one more LFBInstance(s) = target LFB instance(s).
                  [the size of this TLV tells how long the list is]

But in the case of a multicast, I would simply drop the LFBSelect TLV altogether as it is redundant (the LFB Instances are already selected by the -virtualID-). What do you think ?

Regards,
-Robert

Robert Haas
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory