Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?

Zsolt Haraszti <zsolt@modularnet.com> Thu, 21 October 2004 18:57 UTC

Subject: Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?
From: Zsolt Haraszti <zsolt@modularnet.com>
To: "Wang,Weiming" <wmwang@mail.hzic.edu.cn>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:26:42 -0400
Cc: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <hormuzd.m.khosravi@intel.com>, "Joel M. Halpern" <jhalpern@megisto.com>, ram.gopal@nokia.com, "Steven Blake (petri-meat)" <slblake@petri-meat.com>, Alan DeKok <alan.dekok@idt.com>, Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@znyx.com>, forces-protocol@ietf.org, Ellen M Deleganes <ellen.m.deleganes@intel.com>, "Yang, Lily L" <lily.l.yang@intel.com>
Sender: forces-protocol-bounces@ietf.org

Weiming,

I have a very hard time to resonate with your examples, and therefore
with your reasoning.

For one, if you end up needing 64k LFBs from the same class, I think
you or we did something wrong with the model.  Sure you mean it an
extreme case, but I think it is a misleading one.  I envision
practical LFB models having up to a few hundred LFB instances, where
multiple instances of the same class will be in very different roles
(e.g., a Classifier LFB supporting Diffserv versus a Classifier
LFB supporting IPsec, etc.), hence more often not sharing any config
data than sharing some.

For two, displacing the two parts of the LFB address (class ID and
instance ID) in the protocol is a much bigger concern to me than to
allow ad-hoc/state-less multicast addressing.  It would be in some
sense similar to if in the IP header the (sub-)network address and
host-address part of the IP address were placed in distant offsets.

For three, on state-less versus state-ful multicast:  Your example
below is based on the very extreme case when you have a SINGLE
config message addressed to a VERY LARGE number of LFB instances
of the same class.  I have not yet seen a practical case for this
scenario.  I reiterate that multicast groups are not ad-hoc, and
there will be typically a large number of config updates sent to a
group after the group is formed.

Regards,
Zsolt

--
Zsolt Haraszti                Phone:  +1 919-765-0027/2017
Modular Networks              Mobile:      +1 919-522-2337