RE: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?

"Deleganes, Ellen M" <ellen.m.deleganes@intel.com> Sat, 16 October 2004 03:45 UTC

Subject: RE: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:39:35 -0700
From: "Deleganes, Ellen M" <ellen.m.deleganes@intel.com>
To: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <hormuzd.m.khosravi@intel.com>, "Joel M. Halpern" <jhalpern@MEGISTO.com>, hadi@znyx.com
Cc: zsolt@petri-meat.com, ram.gopal@nokia.com, forces-protocol@ietf.org, Steve Blake <slblake@petri-meat.com>, Alan DeKok <alan.dekok@idt.com>, "Yang, Lily L" <lily.l.yang@intel.com>
Sender: forces-protocol-bounces@ietf.org

The thing that is appealing about the proposal is not so much being able
to combine operations as the notion of being able to define new ones
without having to define new messages.

I presume that the "rules" (e.g. never combine operations X and Y) are
not something the protocol is expected to enforce. Otherwise, I think it
would add unnecessary complication to the protocol processing.

It also sounded like Joel was suggesting that if operations happened to
be combined in a single message, the order shown in the protocol does
not imply the order in which the implementation has to execute them. Is
that right?

Regards,
Ellen