Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?

"Wang,Weiming" <wmwang@mail.hzic.edu.cn> Tue, 19 October 2004 11:11 UTC

From: "Wang,Weiming" <wmwang@mail.hzic.edu.cn>
To: Zsolt Haraszti <zsolt@modularnet.com>
Subject: Re: [Forces-protocol] RE: GET/SET in one msg ?
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:27:12 +0800
Cc: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <hormuzd.m.khosravi@intel.com>, ram.gopal@nokia.com, forces-protocol@ietf.org, "Joel M. Halpern" <jhalpern@megisto.com>, "Steven Blake (petri-meat)" <slblake@petri-meat.com>, Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@znyx.com>, Alan DeKok <alan.dekok@idt.com>, Ellen M Deleganes <ellen.m.deleganes@intel.com>, "Yang, Lily L" <lily.l.yang@intel.com>
Sender: forces-protocol-bounces@ietf.org

Zsolt,

Thank you for your intensive reply.

Yes, what I suggest is trying a multicast config (that is, the data is the same
for all instances) at pure instance layer by use of a very simple and explicit
multipul instance scheme. I understand your scheme for multicast at both FE
layer and instance layer. It's ture defining such a scheme can supply much more
powerful function than purely by use of explicit instances for object
addressing. Actually I think we have considered such scheme during protocol
design (by use of multicast FE id address and LFB isntance id address).I also
agree that the scheme you presented below to use an FE attribute to define
instance multicast group is practical to realize such multicast. What I just see
is, apart from using FEs and Instance multicast address, to use multipul
explicit instances is still valuable for customers. For example, consider there
are two LFBs that have one same attribute data to config, and the attribute data
is quite lenthy in protocol text. Because there is only one message to use,
users may be tired of defining a specific instance multicast group for such only
one time config. But they will definitely  be very tired of repeating the lenthy
protocol text. In this case, by use of multipul instances, I'm sure they will be
very happy.

Thank you.

Weiming