Re: [forces] Adoption of ForCES Inter-FE LFB draft-joachimpillai-forces-interfelfb

Joel <joel@stevecrocker.com> Sat, 20 December 2014 01:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 20:05:58 -0500
From: Joel <joel@stevecrocker.com>
To: "Joachimpillai, Damascene M" <damascene.joachimpillai@verizon.com>, Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@mojatatu.com>, "forces@ietf.org" <forces@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [forces] Adoption of ForCES Inter-FE LFB draft-joachimpillai-forces-interfelfb

While we can discuss things with the SFC group, I would note that:

1) They are targeting a format that is transport independent and that
carries a service function path ID that is easily used for forwarding.
Metadata is necessary, supported, but distinctly secondary.  ForCES does
not have a notion of a path-ID selected by an initial classifier.  (That
would ahve been a very different design, and harder for us to work with.)

2) They have proposals on the table, and are having discussions.  While
we could come in with a late complication, as a participant who has been
trying to get agreement I can work with, I would prefer not to do so.

Yours,
Joel