terminology was Re: Model draft

"tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com> Fri, 04 January 2008 14:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:19:51 +0100
From: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: terminology was Re: Model draft
Comments: To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: "tom.petch" <cfinss@dial.pipex.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: Model draft

> I can well believe that the terms as used in S1 could be clearer.
> I have no problem trying to clean up hierarchy, layer, abstraction, and
> level.  I'm not sure it will help much, but I am willing to try.

Joel,

let me start again on terminology

I think that the change is terminology is excellent, much easier to follow.
Back in August, you posted to the list that you would come back with how many
new terms you needed, but I missed - and perhaps miss - that.

I think the new terminology does show up some inconsistent usage, and yes I will
propose text, but need to understand more first.  (I find
myself having to reverse engineer the XSD in order to understand the text, and
that should not happen:-) .  s.4 is easier to follow, for all its level of
detail, than the overview in s.3 and again, I think that this should not happen.
I do see a value in being able to read and understand s.3 and not needing to go
further, whereas if you need the level of detail in the whole document, then
yes, you will put in as many weeks as it takes and will get there.

I am referring to the terms: capability, capacity, component, configuration,
operational, state.

Thus, to quote some usage, which I see as in conflict,

s1 operational parameters in LFB Component
2.1 operational capabilities, configurable parameters (ie attributes)
3 capability and state model
capabilities and capacities
3.2.6 LFBs are made up of components
Fig 1 capability FE->CE configuration CE->FE
4.7 capability components, operational components
4.7.4 LFB Operational Components (are) Operational parameters
4.75. capability components
5 FE components and capabilities

I think that component is what most needs nailing down, and that s.4 is clearest
with capability components and operational components and that elsewhere the
meaning of component is flexible, too much so.

I would like to define Component (and yes, I think that capitals matter) as

"an addressible unit of information in the ForCES protocol that may be read and,
in some cases, written; it may be an atomic data type or a complex data
structure which in turn may contain further ForCES Components.  A Component has
a 32-bit ID, name, data-type
and a synopsis.  The XML elements <component> and <capability> are both
Components in this sense."

If you don't define Component as both <copmponent> and <capability>, well then I
think you will have to create another term that means just that.  By defining
Component as both, then you can easily and clearly pick out one or the other as
Capability Component or Operational Component.

Does that accord with your intentions?  If not, then please suggest a different
definition.

Tom Petch

"When I use a word, it means what I want it to mean" Humpty-Dumpty