Protocols over Frame Relay

Dino Farinacci <dino@buckeye.esd.3com.com> Sat, 17 November 1990 22:21 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Nov 90 14:18:21 PST
From: Dino Farinacci <dino@buckeye.esd.3com.com>
To: goldstein@carafe.enet.dec.com
Cc: frame-relay@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Protocols over Frame Relay

>Mapping PPP over FR, on the other hand, is rather straightforward.
>Beginning with the "control" field, after the DLCI, frame relay delivers
>the PPP frame across a virtual point to point link.  It's quite simple.

    I believe the big win using PPP over FR networks is the ability
    to run multiple protocols over the same PVC. However, viewing the
    PVC subscribed as a "virtual point-to-point" link may have scaling
    problems. Specifically, I wouldn't want to run the LCP FSM n times.
    Furthermore, one may subscribe to n PVCs but not have frequent
    traffic to all nodes. The PPP overhead (LQM packets) could consume
    the single-link bandwidth to the network.

    I believe a modification can be made to PPP to allow 16-bit addresses
    (as Drew states) as well as an option to disable LCP protocol processing.
    No great ideas come to mind how to do this dynamically. However, if
    a link is configured to be a Frame Relay link, only the PPP encapsulation
    part of the protocol would be used. Any comments?

Dino