Re: [Fud] Comment on draft-moran-fud-manifest-00

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Tue, 22 August 2017 17:19 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: fud@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 13:18:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [Fud] Comment on draft-moran-fud-manifest-00

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> wrote:
    > Hi Thomas,

    > interesting idea.

    > As an optional feature I don't see a problem with it.

    > How exactly the approval process for applying a firmware update in a
    > particular product looks like will of course vary a lot. At the IOTSU
    > workshop we had people describing a healthcare setting where any code
    > changes need to go through certification first. In smart home
    > environments the firmware updates are most likely facing fewer
    > regulatory restrictions.

I think that the regulated (e.g. health-care) situation is different than
the security vs feature update situation.

In the regulated situation, I can see two ways to go about the process:
  a) devices have a built-in policy that requires signatures from X,Y and Z
     before they will apply them.

  b) devices have a built-in policy that will accept updates on from Z
     (the regulator)
     Z has a policy where it only reviews things once X and Y
     have signed.  Applying the signature from Z may remove the signature
     from X and Y (that's a space optimization only).
     As the device does not recognize X or Y, it would ignore those signatures.

Whereas, Thomas is suggesting that when any of X, Y or Z signs, it would
include some kind of flag (probably an OID?) saying the reason for the
update.
(Maybe we'd want to also have optional space for a URL pointing at update notes)