Re: [gaia] [irsg] Review required: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments

Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org> Tue, 02 February 2016 17:11 UTC

To: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>, gaia@irtf.org
From: Niels ten Oever <niels@article19.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:11:12 +0100
Cc: 'Javier Simó' <javier.simo@urjc.es>, irsg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [gaia] [irsg] Review required: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments

Hi Jose,

Thanks for this. Reply inline:

On 02/02/2016 01:44 PM, Jose Saldana wrote:
> Dear Niels,
>
> First of all, thank you very much for your detailed review. As
> said today, your comments will be useful for building an improved
> version.

My pleasure!

> But I think here is something we should decide now: what to do
> about "deployment experiences", i.e. point 4 of your review.

> As Javier says, we have discussed this possibility in the GAIA
> meeting in Prague
> (https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/minutes/minutes-93-gaia):
>
> "Lixia Zhang: The Internet didn’t start as a community effort. On
> the draft, what is the main purpose? I’m interested in what you
> have learned, and what advice you may have.
>
> Niels ten Oever: This is a great overview, but how will you set
> boundaries. There are lots of handbook materials that could be
> linked to, to avoid making this draft grow to 100s of pages. In
> particular we could define more on centralised v. decentralised
> approaches.
>
> Jane Coffin: Energy is also important for rural areas.
>
> Mat: I think the original motivation was to get a definition of
> “Alternative Networks”, it’s not scoped to be 100s of pages, but
> more can we define what we mean as Alternative Networks, and then
> provide examples. Lixia’s suggestion of looking at learning
> outcomes, could be a future document that may be useful."
>

> We also talked about that in the list, and we (more or less)
> agreed on this solution: to first focus on a "taxonomy" draft, and
> leave "deployment experiences" for future work.
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gaia/current/msg00831.html
>
> In fact, we already removed some content from the draft, as it was
> related to "deployment experiences". See parts removed from Section
> 4 in these two versions:
> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-
deployments-01&url2=draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-00

And we have also asked for volunteers for the "deployment
> experiences" draft:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/gaia/current/msg00916.html
>

> So my opinion is that we should avoid including this in the
> present document. As you said in Prague, it is a matter of defining
> some boundaries on the scope of the document. What do you think?

I would leave that for the authors and the group to decide. But AFAIK
there are a few major deployments / projects out there, such as
Freifunk (Germany), Guifi (Catalunia), Rhizomatica (Mexico), and
perhaps Commotion (Tunisia, Redhook, Congo). Referencing these could
bring the draft closer to actual practices (and with that increase
relevance). Another approach could be providing a concrete example for
every topology you define under 4.

I completely agree with you that deployment experiences should not go
into this draft, that would be too much. The same is true for
providing an exhaustive list of implementations.

> Thanks in advance,

Hope this helps,

Niels

> Jose
>

>> -----Mensaje original----- De: gaia
>> [mailto:gaia-bounces@irtf.org] En nombre de Javier Simó Enviado
>> el: lunes, 01 de febrero de 2016 14:09 Para: gaia@irtf.org
>> Asunto: Re: [gaia] [irsg] Review required:
>> draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network- deployments
>>
>> For the most important points (the most detailed ones), there are
>> a few good interdisciplinary people in this lists with a
>> background in development studies. I guess that it is just a
>> matter of these people polishing the text.
>>
>> For point 4, ... well, the decission after Prague was to TAKE
>> OUT the experiences and build another document. If experiences
>> are required in here, then, we should reverse that decission and
>> pilot a controlled introduction of best practices / case studies
>> in the appropriate subsections.
>>
>> Best Javier
>>
>> El 01/02/16 a las 13:58, Jose Saldana escribió:
>>> Thank you very much, Niels!
>>>
>>> We will take your comments into account in order to build an
>>> improved version of
>> the draft.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Jose

nt s-03.txt below. This is my first IRSG review, so please bear with

>> networks.

rk

Mat