Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Stephen Farrel's comment #1. DTN

Joerg Ott <jo@netlab.tkk.fi> Fri, 15 April 2016 13:10 UTC

To: Javier Simó <javier.simo@urjc.es>, gaia@irtf.org
From: Joerg Ott <jo@netlab.tkk.fi>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 15:10:36 +0200
Subject: Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Stephen Farrel's comment #1. DTN

Two data points:

Within the RIFE project: https://rife-project.eu
Here, we use DTN as on local dissemination strategy to reach less well
connected users.

We build small things like the liberouter: www.liberouter.mobi
We think that this is a suitable model for localized networking
(understanding that global information access is important, but it's
not everything).  We spent some time with a student project course
looking at self sustainability of such systems from an energy
perspective.  More left to do.

Jörg