Re: [gaia] GAIA and the online IETF 108 (agenda) Tue 28 13:00 UTC Meetecho

Leandro Navarro <leandro@ac.upc.edu> Sun, 26 July 2020 22:15 UTC

From: Leandro Navarro <leandro@ac.upc.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 00:15:45 +0200
To: gaia <gaia@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [gaia] GAIA and the online IETF 108 (agenda) Tue 28 13:00 UTC Meetecho

Dear all,

The agenda for this week meeting (Tuesday) is below. We have 50 mins and the agenda is the following (copied below) https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/108/agenda/agenda-108-gaia-01.txt <https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/108/agenda/agenda-108-gaia-01.txt>

This time the meeting will be limited to IETF registered participants and will use meetecho. If you plan to come you’ll need to register to IETF 108 and while doing so you can ask for a free waiver: https://registration.ietf.org/108/ <https://registration.ietf.org/108/>

You will see a couple of presentations deal with the environmental sustainability of the Internet for all. If you have any pointer or reference about this area (environmental footprint of the Internet: energy, materials, ewaste) feel free to share.

One sample reference: GAIA is a about Internet for all, but we cannot afford the current growth of ICT devices for more people, and more devices per person (mobiles, laptops, desktops, servers, cloud providers, the internet, mobile networks), and more energy spent (and wasted) in all we do on the Internet. We are in a race to increase decarbonisation efforts to tackle the environmental crisis and comply with the 1.5°C objective described by the IPCC Special Report on 1.5°C or the 2°C scenario. A few months ago this ITU-T recommendation https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-L.1470-202001-I/en <https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-L.1470-202001-I/en> talks about it. Just one graph:

Best, Jane and Leandro.

# Global Access to the Internet for All (GAIA) WG
## IETF 108, Online