Re: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime-03

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Wed, 10 October 2018 04:11 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 23:11:16 -0500
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
To: Peter Yee <peter@akayla.com>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime-03

> On Oct 9, 2018, at 10:50 PM, Peter Yee <peter@akayla.com> wrote:
>
> Ben,
>
> 	Regarding the metadata, it would seem to that these intermediaries would be inserting this metadata regardless of whether S/MIME was used or not.  As the intermediaries can't read the S/MIME messages (assuming encryption), they aren't revealing anything that the sender could have protected more than is done with S/MIME over the message content.  If there's a case where S/MIME induces the addition of metadata that would not be otherwise attached, then I could see a problem.  It's just not clear to me from the text given that this is the case.

Hi Peter,

The issue isn’t that S/MIME enables this; it’s that it doesn’t protect against it. The sender could go to great effort to encrypt their data so that only the receiver can read it, and find that the “network” adds it back in cleartext.

This can happen whether or not S/MIME encryption is used, but one assumes the sender uses it with an expectation of privacy.

Would it help to add something to the effect  of “The use of S/MIME encryption will not prevent privacy leaks introduced by header enrichment.” to the beginning of the paragraph?

> 	One more potential nit: Page 22, Section 12, 4th paragraph, 4th sentence: verify that you really want UAS (i.e., User Agent Server) in that sentence.  I'm not familiar enough with the context to know if you didn't really mean UAs (User Agents) as was used in the previous sentence.

You are correct, it should be UAs. Good catch.

Thanks!

Ben.