Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-12

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 10 December 2015 12:59 UTC

To: =?UTF-8?Q?Alejandro_P=c3=a9rez_M=c3=a9ndez?= <alex@um.es>, Roni Even <ron.even.tlv@gmail.com>, draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml.all@tools.ietf.org
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:59:08 +0000
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-12

Hiya,

On 10/12/15 07:32, Alejandro Pérez Méndez wrote:
> Dear Roni and chairs of the ABFAB WG,
>
> thank you for the revision. Please, see my responses inline (specially
> the one related to point #2)
>
> El 03/12/15 a las 15:31, Roni Even escribió:
>>
>> I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
>> Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
>> <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>>
>> Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
>> you may receive.
>>
>> Document: draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-12
>>
>> Reviewer: Roni Even
>>
>> Review Date:2015–12-3
>>
>> IETF LC End Date: 2015–12-4
>>
>> IESG Telechat date:

>> Informational RFC.
>>
>> Major issues:
>>
>> Minor issues:
>>
>> 1.Why is the RADIUSNasIpAddress a string and not as specified in for
>> example in RFC2865
>>

> The RADIUSNasIpAddress is a SAML metadata element, thus it has to comply
> with existing SAML types. The string type allows to encode the "display"
> value of these RADIUS attributes (e.g. "192.168.1.1", or "::1"). Note
> that current text specifies that the element contains an acceptable
> value for RADIUS NAS-IP-Address or RADIUS NAS-IPv6-Address attributes,
> so no arbitrary values are accepted nonetheless.
>
>> 2.In general I was wondering why this is an Informational document. It
>> defines procedures and has normative language.
>>

> That sounds like kind of an unfortunate bug. For some reason, it changed
> from Standards Track to Informational between versions -00 and -01.
> However, we want it standards-track with a normative downreference to
> radsec. Can it be done at this moment or does it require a more complex
> process?

Hmm. The shepherd write-up says informational is correct. If the WG
chairs want to, we can re-spin the IETF LC. But this has been so
long in the process and has slowly so I'd prefer to not do that
unless someone really cares, and it makes a difference.

For now, I've kept this on the Dec17 IESG telechat as informational
but if needed we can push it into the new year.

>> 3.In the IANA consideration in section 11.1, as far as I understand
>> the IANA attribute type registry you need to ask for values for TBD1
>> and TBD2 from the unassigned space (and not the reserved space)
>>

> I agree. I cannot find where we state otherwise, though. Could you point
> the specific text where we say it?
>
>> 4.In step 2 of figure 7 (section 7.2) the text says “In step 2, the
>> Relying Party may optionally issue a <samlp:AuthnRequest> message to
>> be delivered to the Identity Provider using the SAML-Protocol RADIUS
>> attribute.”  My reading is that the rest of the steps are when this
>> message is sent, since it is  “may” what happens if the message is not
>> sent?
>>

> If the <AuthnRequest> is not sent, the procedure follows the
> "unsolicited response" (explained in 7.4.4), where the IdP deliveres a
> <samlp:Assertion> element. I agree that step 4 needs to include this
> clarification. The new text should read as:
>

> 4.  Identity Provider issues <samlp:Response> to Relying Party
>        (Section 7.3.4).  In step 4, the Identity Provider issues a
>        <samlp:Response> message to the Relying Party using the SAML
>        RADIUS binding.  The response either indicates an error or
>        includes a SAML Authentication Statement in exactly one SAML
>        Assertion. If the RP did not send an <samlp:AuthnRequest>, the IdP
>
> issues an unsolicited <samlp:Assertion>, as described in section 7.4.4.

I'll add the above as an RFC editor note.

Cheers,
S.