Re: [Gen-art] [alto] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-alto-cdni-request-routing-alto-16

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Tue, 07 September 2021 16:27 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 12:27:38 -0400
Cc: IETF Gen-ART <gen-art@ietf.org>, last-call@ietf.org, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-alto-cdni-request-routing-alto.all@ietf.org
To: Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zhang@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] [alto] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-alto-cdni-request-routing-alto-16

Hi.  The vast bulk of the changes resolve my comments.  I'm dropping the resolved comments from my reply.

> Section 5.6, 3rd paragraph after bullets:  I do not understand the
> second MUST statement in this paragraph.  The sentence seems to contain
> a mix of defining the superset and a MUST statement.  I cannot suggest
> a rewording.
>
> Yes, the original sentence mixed a definition and a MUST statement. To make it easy to read,
> we would like to propose the following change to separate the definition and the MUST statement:
>
> OLD:
>
>    The returned CDNI Advertisement resource MUST contain only
>    BaseAdvertisementObject objects whose CDNI capability object is the
>    superset of one of CDNI capability object in "cdni-fci-capabilities".
>    Specifically, that a CDNI capability object A is the superset of
>    another CDNI capability object B means that these two CDNI capability
>    objects have the same capability type and mandatory properties in
>    capability value of A MUST include mandatory properties in capability
>    value of B semantically.  See Section 5.7.2 for a concrete example.
>
> NEW:
>
>    The returned filtered CDNI Advertisement resource MUST contain all the
>    BaseAdvertisementObject objects satisfying the following condition: The
>    CDNI capability object of each included BaseAdvertisementObject object
>    MUST follow two constraints:
>
>    o The "cdni-capabilities" field of the input includes a CDNI capability object
>       X having the same capability type as it.
>    o All the mandatory properties in its capability value is a superset of
>       mandatory properties in capability value of X semantically.
>
>    See Section 5.7.2 for a concrete example.

The nested colons make this rather awkward.  I think it is even less clear than the original.

> Section 4.2.4 includes:
>
>      data:     "/cdni-advertisement/capabilities-with-footprints
>      /0/footprints/0/footprint-value/-",
>      data:     "value": "germany"
>
> Since Section 6.1.2.2 says that a countrycode domain is encoded
> as an ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code in lowercase, I was surprised to see
> "germany" in this example.
>
> If you check the example in Sec 4.2.3, you will find "germany" here is not a country code but an ALTO PID name.
> If the name is confusing, we can change it to make it more like a PID name.

I see.  No need for a change, but you might add a note so that others do not make the mistake that I did.  Perhaps in the introduction paragraph to Section 4.2.4:

   ... second one is to remove the "south-france" PID from the footprints ...

> Section 2.2, 1st bullet: please make two bullets, one for
> Application Layer-oriented, and another for CDNI.
>
> This bullet explains that ALTO is can provide application layer-oriented information and therefore is a good match for CDNI.
> I am not quite sure what you mean by separating this bullet. Could you explain more? Thanks.

I just reread it, and the use of nested colons and the placement of the page break confused me:

   o  Application Layer-oriented: ALTO is a protocol specifically

      <page break>
      CDNI: a uCDN wants to improve application layer CDN request

I suggest:  s/CDNI: a uCDN wants/CDNI, where a uCDN wants/

Russ