Re: [Gen-art] Review: draft-ietf-pcn-sm-edge-behaviour-08

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Sun, 01 January 2012 19:58 UTC

Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 14:58:53 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Tom Taylor <tom111.taylor@bell.net>
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>, draft-ietf-pcn-sm-edge-behaviour@tools.ietf.org, Steven Blake <slblake@petri-meat.com>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Review: draft-ietf-pcn-sm-edge-behaviour-08

Thank you for responding promptly Tom.  Let me try to elaborate on the
two issues where I was unclear.

On the ingress-egress-aggregate issue and ECMP, the concern I have is
relative to the third operational alternative where routing is used to
determine where the ingress and egress of a flow is.  To be blunt, as
far as I can tell this does not work.
1) It does not work on the ingress side because traffic from a given
source prefix can come in at multiple places.  Some of these places may
claim reachability to the source prefix.  Some may not.  While a given
flow will use only one of these paths, there is no way to determine from
routing information, at the egress, which ingress that flow used.
2) A site may use multiple exits for a given destination prefix.  Again,
while the site will only use one of these egresses for a given flow,
there is no way for the ingress to know which egress it will be on the
basis of routing information.
Thus, the text seems to allow for a behavior that simply does not work.

I am still confused about the relationship of section 3.3.2 to the
behavior you describe.  3.3.2 says that as long as any excess traffic is
being reported, teh decision point shall direct the blocking of
additional flows.  That does not match 3.3.1, and does not match your
description.

Yours,
Joel