Re: [Gen-art] [regext] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-12

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Mon, 27 July 2020 16:41 UTC

From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
To: David Schinazi <dschinazi.ietf@gmail.com>, gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response.all@ietf.org, regext@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:38:23 +0200
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] [regext] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-12

Hi David,

thanks a lot for your review and feedback. I provide my answer to your
feedback below:

Il 25/07/2020 00:47, David Schinazi via Datatracker ha scritto:
> Reviewer: David Schinazi
> Review result: Ready with Issues

> by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.

> <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-partial-response-12
> Reviewer: David Schinazi
> Review Date: 2020-07-24
> IETF LC End Date: 2020-08-14
> IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

> Major issues: None
>
> Minor issues: After reading the document, I was somewhat
> confused as to the definition of fieldSet query parameter.
> I think adding a few sentences to Section 2 explaining that
> a field set is a string that the server generates which maps
> to a set of fields only known to the server would help.

[ML] It seems to me that both the concepts are already conveyed in the
document. Maybe they are not adequately clarified.

The sentence "... whose value is a string identifying a server-defined
set of supported fields.." means that a field set name and the related
list of fields are defined by the server.

With regards to the assumption that a field set is known only by the
server, this is not generally true.

Both the field set names and the related list of fields might (hopefully
should) be shared by as many servers as possible to facilitate
interoperability as described in section 4.

Moreover, the field sets together with other server features are
expected to be described  in out-of-band documents like the RDAP profile.

Finally, as described in section 2.1, the subsetting_metadata element
could provide an in-band information about the supported field sets that
is more reactive to server updates than out-of-band contents.

Do you think that the concepts above should be furtherly clarified ?

> Additionally, specifying that the string can't be empty and
> which characters are allowed might help avoid interop
> issues down the road.
>
> Nits/editorial comments: None

[ML] Agreed.

But rather than updating section 2, I think that it would be better to
change the section 5 as in the following:

OLD

Each request including an unsupported field set SHOULD produce an
    HTTP 400 (Bad Request) response code.

NEW

Each request including either an empty or an unsupported "fieldSet" value SHOULD produce an
    HTTP 400 (Bad Request) response code.

Is it okay with you?

Best,

Mario