[Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-mile-xmpp-grid-09

Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Fri, 04 January 2019 12:30 UTC

From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: mile@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mile-xmpp-grid.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 04:30:54 -0800
Subject: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-mile-xmpp-grid-09

Reviewer: Christer Holmberg
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-mile-xmpp-grid-09
Reviewer: Christer Holmberg
Review Date: 2019-01-04
IETF LC End Date: 2019-01-14
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

issues. However, as shown below, I do have some questions for clarifications.

Major issues: None

Minor issues:

Q1: There is no explanation of what kind of security-related information is
distributed. What kind of security? I assume it is some kind of application
security, and not XMPP security.

Q2: Is there a reason why XMPP-Grid is only defined for security-related
information? Isn’t XMPP-Grid a way of distributing ANY type on information in a
secure manner?

Q3: It is not clear to me what XMPP-Grid provides that “normal” secure XMPP
doesn’t. Is XMPP-Grid only an architecture, using standard XMPP components? If
so, I think that should be made more clear.

Q4: While section 8 does reference RFC 6120 for the usage of TLS, I can’t find
any references to other security considerations in RFC 6120. Is everything in
section 8 XMPP-Grid specific?

Q5: Section 4 talks about a “typical” workflow. I assume that means there could
be others?

Nits/editorial comments:

Q6: The document talks about using XMPP-Grid for distributing
“security-relevant”/”security-related” information. I suggest using consistent
terminology.