Re: [Gen-art] Gen-art review of draft-ietf-dime-pmip6-lr-07

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 08 February 2012 10:56 UTC

From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:58:50 +0000
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-dime-pmip6-lr.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-art review of draft-ietf-dime-pmip6-lr-07

Hi, Qin.

Thanks for your quick reponse.. some comments in line (I have deleted
the bits agreed),

/Elwyn

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 12:53 +0800, Qin Wu wrote:
> Hi,Elwyn:
> Thank for your valuable review. please see our replies below.

I think this is exactly the point: You give two different (but allegedly
non-conflicting ways) of doing the same thing at two places in the
draft.  From what you say, I infer that you could do either thing in
both cases. If so then it would be better to give the alternatives
together for the first case and refer to the previous comments when the
second case is reached in the text.

> > s5.1, last para:
> >> Figure 4 shows another example scenario, similar to the example
> >>    scenario illustrated in Figure 3, LMA1 does not respond to MAG1 with
> >>    the address of LMA2, instead setting up a localized routing path
> >>    directly between itself and LMA2 via localized routing signaling.
> > I am unsure what 'localized routing signaliing' would involve.  What
> > would the nodes do for this?  Appears to involve some waving of hands.
>
> [Qin]: LMA1 and LMA2 exchange to trigger corresponding LMA to setup binding entries
> on the correspoding MAG for localized routing and establish localized
> routing path between MAG1 and MAG2.
>
> > On a slightly broader point, there are a number of places where the
> > phrase 'localized routing setup' (or similar) is used.  It would, I
> > think, be useful to add a few words indicating what is thought to be
> > involved although actually doing it is clearly out of scope of this
> > document.
>
> [Qin]: Okay.

I am afraid this doesn't really help: You say 'establish localized
routing path between MAG1 and MAG2'. How? Does this imply that the MAG
or some other component will (re-)configure the local packet routing
infrastructure? (Not something I would expect the MAG to be authorized
to do.) Or is this a matter of creating a tunnel?  I think this needs to
be a whole lot more concrete - both ends have to be expecting the
packets and know what to do with them.

Regards,
Elwyn