Re: [Gen-art] [Id-event] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-secevent-http-poll-09

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Thu, 04 June 2020 21:51 UTC

To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>
Cc: "last-call@ietf.org" <last-call@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-secevent-http-poll.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-secevent-http-poll.all@ietf.org>, "id-event@ietf.org" <id-event@ietf.org>
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 16:51:02 -0500
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] [Id-event] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-secevent-http-poll-09

On 6/4/20 4:27 PM, Mike Jones wrote:
> Thanks for your review, Robert.  I'm working on addressing the review comments received and wanted to have a clarifying discussion on some of yours before deciding what corresponding edits to make.
>
> I think there's a misunderstanding about "jti" values and the security model.  Because communication is over a TLS-protected channel

Not always, and that's an important part of my point.

See the first sentence of section 4.1:

"   In scenarios where HTTP authorization or TLS mutual authentication
    are not used or are considered weak, "

> between two parties, it would be fine if the JTI values were totally guessable, such as "A", "B", "C", etc.  There's no opportunity for an attacker to inject traffic into or to listen to the stream.  Does that make sense to you?
_If_ it were never possible for authorization to be weak or for TLS auth
to not be used, then sure. But the exception you call out at 4.1 exactly
allows someone to be an attacker this way.

> As for limits on how long a transmitter is required to hold a SET, I propose to add this text:
>        Transmitters may also discard undelivered SETs under deployment-specific conditions,
>        such as if they have not been polled for over too long a period of time
>        or if an excessive amount of storage is needed to retain them.
That's better, but consider being a bit more specific about "too long".