Re: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf-06

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 01 October 2018 06:52 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 08:52:45 +0200
To: alissa@cooperw.in
Cc: christer.holmberg@ericsson.com, gen-art@ietf.org, draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf.all@ietf.org, netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf-06

Hi,

Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in> wrote:
> Christer, thanks for your review. I have flagged your first comment in
> my No Objection ballot since it seems like a good point to clarify.
>
> Alissa
>
> > On Jul 16, 2018, at 6:55 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder
> > <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 04:14:43AM -0700, Christer Holmberg wrote:
> >>
> >> Minor issues:
> >>
> >> Sometimes, when a draft updates an existing RFC, people ask whether
> >> implementations not implementing the draft are still compliant with
> >> the updated
> >> RFC. Based on discussions, the consensus seems to be that existing
> >> implementations are still compliant, and if one wants to mandate the
> >> new
> >> features a bis is needed. I would just like to confirm whether that
> >> applies
> >> also to this draft. If so, perhaps a note indicating that would be
> >> useful, in
> >> order to avoid discussions in future?
> >
> > An existing NETCONF server not implementing NMDA is still compliant to
> > the RFC 6241. However, a NETCONF server implementing NMDA (RFC 8342)
> > has to implement this update to RFC 6241. Do you want to have this
> > stated more explicitly? (We will have the same for RESTCONF and the
> > NMDA update of RESTCONF.)

How about:

OLD:

   An NMDA-compliant NETCONF server MUST support the operational state
   datastore and it MUST implement at least revision 201X-XX-XX of the
   "ietf-yang-library" module defined in [I-D.ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis].

NEW:

   An NMDA-compliant NETCONF server MUST implement the module
   "ietf-netconf-nmda" defined in this document, MUST support the
   operational state datastore, and it MUST implement at least revision
   201X-XX-XX of the "ietf-yang-library" module defined in
   [I-D.ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis].

/martin