[Gen-art] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13

Matt Joras via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 01 February 2022 16:40 UTC

From: Matt Joras via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: bmwg@ietf.org, draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance.all@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 08:40:53 -0800
Subject: [Gen-art] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13

Reviewer: Matt Joras
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair. Please wait for direction from your
document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-bmwg-ngfw-performance-13
Reviewer: Matt Joras
Review Date: 2022-01-31
IETF LC End Date: 2021-12-29
IESG Telechat date: 2022-02-03

Nits/editorial comments:

Section 4.3.1.1
This section details TCP stack attributes in great detail. However,
subsequently HTTP/3 and QUIC are both mentioned in 4.3.1.3.. QUIC is in need of
tuning just as much as TCP, if not more.

" HTTP/3 emulated browser uses QUIC ([RFC9000]) as transport protocol." should
be reworded, and I'm not exactly sure what it is trying to convey.

"Depending on test scenarios and selected HTTP version, HTTP header compression
MAY be set to enable or disable." should probably read " be enabled or
disabled."

Similarly in sections 7, there is a lot of specific mention of TCP connections,
TCP RSTs, FINs, etc. and continued mentioning of HTTP. Since QUIC is a
significant carrier of HTTP traffic it seems these sections should not be so
specific to TCP. Especially since it seems as though for these kinds of devices
their limits may very well be different for UDP or TCP flows.