[Gen-art] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-23

Brian Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> Sat, 22 September 2018 03:19 UTC

From: Brian Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: softwires@ietf.org, draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast.all@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 20:19:40 -0700
Subject: [Gen-art] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-23

Reviewer: Brian Carpenter
Review result: Ready with Issues

Gen-ART telechat review of draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-23

by the IESG for the IETF Chair. Please wait for direction from your
document shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-23.txt
Reviewer: Brian Carpenter
Review Date: 2018-09-22
IETF LC End Date: 2018-09-06
IESG Telechat date: 2018-09-27

--------

Comments:
---------

Thank you for handling my Last Call comments. I am mentioning my previous
issue again in case the IESG thinks any further change is needed.

Issue:
------

"7.3.  Fragmentation

   The encapsulation performed by an upstream AFBR will increase the
   size of packets.  As a result, the outgoing I-IP link MTU may not
   accommodate the larger packet size.  It is not always possible for
   core operators to increase the MTU of every link, thus fragmentation
   after encapsulation and reassembling of encapsulated packets MUST be
   supported by AFBRs [RFC5565].  The specific requirements for
   fragmentation and tunnel configuration COULD be referred to in
   [I-D.ietf-intarea-tunnels], which is under revision currently."

This text is significantly improved. However, I still wonder, if I-IP is
IPv6, how does the originator of the IPv6 packet (the AFBR) know that it
needs to include a fragment header? In addition to the discussion in
[I-D.ietf-intarea-tunnels], isn't it necessary to specify that PMTUD
should be enabled and that ICMPv6 packets must not be filtered?

Nit:
----

Please change COULD to SHOULD in the above paragraph.