[Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-nvo3-evpn-applicability-04

Reese Enghardt via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 06 July 2022 17:17 UTC

From: Reese Enghardt via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-nvo3-evpn-applicability.all@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org, nvo3@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 10:17:34 -0700
Subject: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-nvo3-evpn-applicability-04

Reviewer: Reese Enghardt
Review result: Ready with Nits

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-nvo3-evpn-applicability-04
Reviewer: Reese Enghardt
Review Date: 2022-07-06
IETF LC End Date: 2022-07-11
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

breaking down a complex topic. I only found a few nits to make the document
more accessible.

Major issues: None.

Minor issues:

Abstract:
Please expand NVO3 networks on first use.
Please consider adding a sentence to already state in the abstract/introduction
that this document does not introduce any new procedures or signaling in EVPN.

If EVPN gets updated in future RFCs, does this document apply to these updates?
Not sure if it's worth saying anything about this, but I started wondering
about this question when seeing the table of EVPN route types in Section 4.1.

Section 2:
Please expand CLOS on first use.
Please add a definition for Tenant System, in addition to expanding the acronym.
For the BT definition, not having read RFC7432, I got slightly confused
initially, as "Bridge Table" sounded to me like it's a sort-of lookup table on
a single NVE, but if it's the instantiation of a BD, it would potentially span
multiple NVEs. Having read the doc, it seems like a BT spans multiple NVEs and
potentially is the same on all NVEs in the same BD. If this is true, please
consider adding a clarifying sentence to the BT definition.

Section 4.2:
Figure 1 uses the terms "single-active" and "all-active", but the document only
defines/explains them in Section 4.7.5 - Is this intentional? Even though
Figure 1 uses "single-active" and "all-active", I am not seeing these terms
used in any example later on when the terms are explained. Please consider
either elaborating on how the terms relate to the Figure 1 example or removing
these terms from Figure 1.

Section 4.2.2:
Please consider expanding PMSI on first use.

Nits/editorial comments:

Section 4:
"The intend is" -> "The intent is"