Re: [Gen-art] Review: draft-ietf-pcn-sm-edge-behaviour-08

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 02 January 2012 17:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 12:18:45 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc: draft-ietf-pcn-sm-edge-behaviour@tools.ietf.org, Steven Blake <slblake@petri-meat.com>, gen-art@ietf.org, Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>, Tom Taylor <tom.taylor.stds@gmail.com>, David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Review: draft-ietf-pcn-sm-edge-behaviour-08

Michael, I am not sure what to make of your recommended text abut ECMP.
ECMP is used by almost all operators.  It is generally considered a
necessary tool in the tool-kit.
More significantly, at least for the egress understanding of the
ingress, it is not even the single operator's ECMP, but other operators
selections of paths that produce the issue.  So even in the unlikely
event that this operator does not use ECMP, it still is not sufficient.

Yours,
Joel