Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Last Call review of draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-04

Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com> Wed, 02 March 2016 07:16 UTC

From: Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>, "draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer.all@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 07:16:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.4.102.210]
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, "Brian Haberman (brian@innovationslab.net)" <brian@innovationslab.net>, "Karen ODonoghue (odonoghue@isoc.org)" <odonoghue@isoc.org>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Last Call review of draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-04

Hi Paul,

>Rather, my concern is that RFC5905 says when there are extensions
>in the message they will always be followed by a MAC. (There is no provision
>for an extension without a MAC.)

Please note that this part of RFC5905 was corrected by erratum 3627 (https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5905), and the corrected text is:
"In NTPv4, one or more extension fields can be inserted after the header and before the MAC, if a MAC is present. If a MAC is not present, one or more extension fields can be inserted after the header, according to the following rules..."

>So, if you send a message with the
>checksum trailer but without a MAC, and it is received by a device that only
>implements the base 5905, even if the device properly ignores unknown
>extensions, it may still find fault with the message and ignore it.

An implementation that complies to the corrected text (from the erratum) will not run into this problem.

Regards,
Tal.