Re: [Gen-art] [karp] IANA policy for draft-ietf-karp-crypto-key-table-08

Carter Bullard <carter@qosient.com> Fri, 16 August 2013 17:57 UTC

From: Carter Bullard <carter@qosient.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:57:17 -0400
To: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
Cc: "tim.polk@nist.gov" <tim.polk@nist.gov>, "General Area Review Team (gen-art@ietf.org)" <gen-art@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietfc@mit.edu>, "karp@ietf.org" <karp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] [karp] IANA policy for draft-ietf-karp-crypto-key-table-08

Hey David,
Having been down this path a number of times, I would like to
suggest that one shouldn't attempt to qualify any algorithm,
technique, method or approach that may be submitted to the
registration process.

By suggesting that the registry somehow contains only " good "
strategies, without any consideration regarding a specific
implementation, you're making a claim that is unsupportable.
Bad implementations of " good " strategies can be worst than
plaintext passwords … really.

Let the user decide what mechanisms they want to use, based
on their criteria.

Clear text passwords used over a triple AES encrypted channel
is not "by definition" a bad strategy.  Theoretically, it could
be abstracted as a two-factor system, which has its advantages,
regardless of the perceived " strength ".  Why not ??

Carter