[Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-05

Dan Romascanu <dromasca@gmail.com> Tue, 13 February 2018 10:44 UTC

From: Dan Romascanu <dromasca@gmail.com>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: lwip@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors.all@ietf.org, dromasca@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 02:44:03 -0800
Subject: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-05

Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-lwig-crypto-sensors-05
Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review Date: 2018-02-13
IETF LC End Date: 2018-02-19
IESG Telechat date: 2018-02-22

This is a well-written clear informational memo, documenting methods to secure
networks built of resource-constrained devices. It describes a deployment model
based on exchanges of signed objects, and documents available cryptographic
libraries that may be suited to the targets. The conclusions include analysis
of trade-offs and recommendations for future development and deployments.

The document is READY from Gen-ART perspective. There are a couple of
non-blocking issues that I would be glad to have them clarified before
approval. I have also pointed to a couple of nits.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

1. In Section 7:

'The location of the resource directory was configured into
   the smart object sensor by hardcoding the IP address'

Is this reasonable? I understand that the goal of the exercise was to
demonstrate that it is possible to implement the entire architecture with
public-key cryptography on an 8-bit micro-controller, but hard-coding the IP
address seems to be below the threshold of a functional system. IMO there is a
need to be able for the sensor to acquire this address (DHCP stack, or a simple
UI to stream in one address, etc.)

2. In section 8.1 - I would expect some discussion about the extra-power needed
to run the cryptography. There is a statement about these being less than
device wake-up and sending messages, but some quantitative evaluation (in
percentage) of the impact would be useful, taking into account that battery
capacity is one of the most important constrained resources.

Nits/editorial comments:

1. The document uses the alternate term of 'small devices' for
'resource-constraint devices'. I view this as kind of an inaccurate verbal
automatism in the world of IoT, as 'small' is a relative term,
resource-constrained devices are not necessarily small (like in reduced
physical footprint), and small devices can be rich in resources. I would
suggest to either avoid the term, or explain what it means in the context (e.g.
''Smart objects', 'small devices' and 'resource-constrained devices are used
interchangeably in this document and mean ...')

2. Please expand ECDSA at first occurrence