Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Last Call review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-errata-06

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Mon, 04 June 2018 09:39 UTC

To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>, "draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-errata.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-errata.all@ietf.org>
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 10:39:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Last Call review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-errata-06

Hi Christer,

As document shepherd for this SCTP process, I'll have a first go at
responding. I think that for RFC4960 the Errata as filed still apply.

See below. The document authors can of course also propose answers to
these questions....

Gorry

On 04/06/2018 10:17, Christer Holmberg wrote:
> Re-sent due to wrong e-mail address.
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have also looked at this document, and there are things that I have
>> think are unclear:
>>
>> Q1: It is Informational, and it does not update RFC 4960. Instead, it just
>> seems to list the erratas (but without even referencing them, as noted by
>> Paul). I think that it should be made very clear that this document is
>> only for guidance, and that implementers shall use the actual erratas for
>> the actual updates.
The document write-up describes the process that has been used with SCTP
updates, and this document follows this plan - this is information to
help the WG prepare a bis document, that we plan to populate with these
edits to the spec and adopt as a WG item in Montreal.

I'm OK with adding text to say this - and see later.
>> Q2: Unless I’ve missed it, there is no indication whether the draft only
>> includes the Verified erratas, or also others - in which case the modified
>> text in one or more erratas may still be changed (erratas may even be
>> rejected).
>>
>> Q3: While the draft name contains “-errata-“, it is unclear whether the
>> draft only covers issues for which erratas has been filed, or whether
>> other issues (e.g., issues that have been discussed on the list) are also
>> included.
There are other issues discussed on the list, and the text proposed here
is what the WG has discussed and finally agreed upon to appear in the
.bis document. It would be OK to add something about that.
>> Q4: When looking at the changes, at least in one case I can’t find an
>> associated errata. For example, section 3.34 is associated with Section
>> 10.1. I only find one errata (#5003) associated with Section 10.1, but the
>> changes in that errata does not match what is in the draft. A reference to
>> the actual errata would help.
I think it would be good to check that Errata refs are included where
applicable, if we added the text you suggest in Q3.
>> Q5: The text says that the draft includes issues found since publication.
>> Now, there may be more issues after this draft has been published, so it
>> should say something like “at the time of publishing this document”.
I agree, and I really should have spotted that- Sorry and thanks for
noting this. I suggest as this ID now approaches publication to be
clearer about the intended plans, by adding a para of text (to be
discussed and finalised with my AD and Co-Chairs) to say something like:

The information in this document does not update RFC4640 or the Errata
to that specification.  The document is instead provided as input to
preparation of a new document that is expected to be a standards-track
replacement for RFC4960. If approved, the replacement document will
incorporate the updates described here and any other changes needed to
allow this to progress this specification along the standards track.

- and to add a corresponding note in the abstract.

Gorry