Re: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-types-09

Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com> Wed, 15 May 2019 18:13 UTC

From: Igor Bryskin <Igor.Bryskin@huawei.com>
To: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-types.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-types.all@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "teas@ietf.org" <teas@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 18:13:26 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.154.54]
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-types-09

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your comments.

Please, note that it was never a goal of this work to produce some sort of Oxford English Dictionary for Traffic Engineering with providing references illustrating basic and subtle usages of each ID of each defined TE related definition (as OED does).
No, our ambitions are far more modest. The work was triggered by realization that many exact same types required by te-topology model are also required by te-tunnel model. We could have (and initially started to) define the types twice (separately for each model), but later decided to put the common te types into a single module/document. This way the te-topo and te-tunnel model families and models directly depending on them (e.g. path computation and VN models) could use the common set of types. This is our primary objective. We also encourage using the te-types model in any other TE related model (if/when it proves useful) with understanding that some types/identities may not be found and hence need to be defined in addition to what has been defined in the te-types model.

Furthermore, in defining TE types and identities we tried to re-use as much as possible the definitions provided by IETF RFCs describing signaling and routing protocols and their management. Although this, strictly speaking, is not necessary, such an approach is far less confusing and more convenient for the model implementers and readers (as compared to independent definitions). This said, on some occasions we have added IDs to cover additional use cases, which understandably were never covered by older RFCs.

I believe your understanding “This document defines all the "Identity" (or types) for TE data types)” is incorrect. Nor I think the cross-check on completeness you mentioned is a requirement.

Regards,
Igor