Re: [Gen-art] [regext] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration-11

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Tue, 15 October 2019 12:10 UTC

To: Jiankang Yao <yaojk@cnnic.cn>
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, regext@ietf.org
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 08:10:18 -0400
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] [regext] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-regext-bundling-registration-11

Regarding the document status, neither of the emails you pointed to
explains why the document is Informational.  I understand from that and
other discussions that there is no desire to make this standards track.
  As has been noted, publication of usages of protocol by small groups
is normally handled by the Independent Stream.  This document has been
processed by the working group.

It is very strange for a protocol document to be processed by a working
group, be accepted as not needing experimental status, and not be
published as a standards track document.  Reading teh dcouemtn, I see no
reason for it not to be standards track.

If there is concern that there may be problems with the document, then
Experimental status would be the normal way to handle this document.
With an explanation of what the experiment is intended to represent.

If the working group feels there is a good reason for informational
publication, that should be document somewhere.  It is currently not
documented in either the document itself or the shepherd report.

The fact that proprietary extensions to EPP are allowed by the protocol
and registries is irrelevant.  This document is an IETF working group
product and therefore is not a proprietary extension.

With regard to the "b-dn:" elements of this document, I am now more
concerned than I was.  I had thought those were a reference to some
other document that clearly defined the syntax and semantics of those
elements.  I now understand that the given prefix is used for the new
elements defined in this document.  The structure that is used to
describe the expected and permitted content of these elements is qutie
confusing.  The actual definition is only in the "formal syntax"
section.  The descriptions are scattered embedded in descriptions of the
messages, expecting to user to determine the permitted and required
behavior from informal descriptive text.  Yes, for those who already
know how it works and what it needs, everything is hear.  For a new
implementor it is very hard to follow.

Yours,
Joel

PS: Replies to my concerns on the regext list that did not copy any of
the IETF list, the genart list, or my email address were not seen by me,
and will not be seen by me if that is chosen again.