[Gen-art] Gen-art last call review of draft-ietf-tls-multiple-cert-status-extension-04

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com> Fri, 22 March 2013 00:42 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 00:41:48 +0000
From: Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
To: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-tls-multiple-cert-status-extension.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-art last call review of draft-ietf-tls-multiple-cert-status-extension-04

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at

you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-tls-multiple-cert-status-extension-04.txt
Reviewer: Elwyn Davies
Review Date: 22 March 2013
IETF LC End Date: 29 March 2013
IESG Telechat date: (if known) -

the alleged criterion for ordering CertificateStatusRequestItems plus a
number of nits that are mainly missing cross references and notes for
clarity about updates of RFC 6066 items.

Major issues:
None

Minor issues:
s2.2:
>     The list of CertificateStatusRequestItem entries MUST be in order of
>     preference.
Having thought a bit about this, I cannot identify what the preference
criterion is - this may be because I don't understand the problem, but I
think you need to explain what the criterion is if there really is one.
If there *is* a criterion, it must be clear whether the order is most
preferred first or least preferred first. Since I don't know what the
criterion is, I can't tell if there are any security implications from
the ordering: no chance of downgrade attacks?

Nits/editorial comments:
s2:
The presentation format used should be referenced back to s4 of RFC 5246.

s2.1:
A reference to s1.1 of RFC 6066 where extension_type is defined is
needed, and it should be made more clear that this an expansion of the
existing type.

s2.2:
A reference to s7.4.1.4 of RFC 5246 where extension_data is defined is
needed.

s2.2, page 4:
Might be good to be more explicit that the definition of
CertificateStatusRequest is an extension of the definition in RFC 6066.
Also the definition of OSCPStatusRequest duplicates the one in RFC 6066
and should be noted as such.  It would also be more appropriate if it
came before CertificateStatusRequest as it is used in
CertificateStatusRequest.

s2.2, para 4 on page 5:
>     In the case of the "id-pkix-ocsp-nonce" OCSP extension, [RFC2560  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2560>] is
>     unclear about its encoding; for clarification,.....
This probably needs to be flagged up in the IANA considerations so that
an additional reference is added to the registry.
ALSO I subsequently noted that this same caveat is already in RFC 6066.
Consider referring to the caveat there rather than duplicating it.

s2.2, para 5 on page 5:
s/A server that receive a client hello/A server that receives a client
hello/

s2.2, page 5/6:
Might be good to be more explicit that the definition of
CertificateStatus is an extension of the definition in RFC 6066.
Also the definition of OSCPResponse duplicates the one in RFC 6066 and
should be noted as such.  It would also be more appropriate if it came
before CertificateStatus as it is used in CertificateStatus.

s2.2, page 6:
The definition of OCSPResponseList should come before the redefinition
of CertificateStatus as it is used in CertificateStatus.

s2.2, para 2 after structure definitions on page 6:
A reference to s7.4.2 of RFC 5246 for the Certificate list would be helpful.