[Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-emu-eap-session-id-04

Peter Yee via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 04 June 2020 04:39 UTC

From: Peter Yee via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: last-call@ietf.org, emu@ietf.org, draft-ietf-emu-eap-session-id.all@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 21:39:51 -0700
Subject: [Gen-art] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-emu-eap-session-id-04

Reviewer: Peter Yee
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-emu-eap-session-id-04
Reviewer: Peter Yee
Review Date: 2020-06-03
IETF LC End Date: 2020-05-27
IESG Telechat date: 2020-06-11

EAP-AKA when using fast re-authentication. Those changes look fine, but one
other change should be better highlighted. [Ready with Issues]

Major issues: None

Minor issues:

Page 4, Section 1, 3rd paragraph. Aside from correcting the deficiencies in the
fast re-authentication cases, you also have updated the EAP-SIM full
authentication Session-ID derivation as well. This really ought to be mentioned
here in the introduction because that change goes beyond the purported scope of
the document (dealing with fast re-authentication). I believe the change you
have made (substituting the RAND values from the first two authentication
triplets for the RAND in AT_RAND) is fine, although I dislike RAND1 and RAND2
which are not specified in RFC 4186 (or in this draft) except by usage in an
example in the test vectors annex. While that's not really your problem, it
would be good if it were there were prescriptive text that explain what RAND1
and RAND2 mean.

Nits/editorial comments:

Page 4, 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence: change "is defining" to "has defined".
IEEE 802.11ai completed the FILS specification several years ago.

Page 7, Section 3, 1st paragraph, 1st sentence: change "define" to "provide a",
just so we aren't defining a definition.