Re: [Gendispatch] draft charter text: terminology-related WG

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 12 February 2021 02:04 UTC

To: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>, gendispatch@ietf.org
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 02:04:01 +0000
Subject: Re: [Gendispatch] draft charter text: terminology-related WG

Hiya,

On 12/02/2021 01:24, Dan Harkins wrote:

>    Howdy Stephen,
>
> On 2/11/21 4:48 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> (Top quoting as this is just a question, but I know you care
>> about this and have also been active in IEEE...)
>>
>> Via mail to new-work/secdir today, I see that IEEE 802 (and
>> I've no idea if people are co-ordinating or not) seem to be
>> starting a fairly similar acctivity. [1]
>
>    I was not aware of this.

Me neither. Hence asking:-)

> Thanks for pointing it out >
>> My question is just: do you think the same about IEEE's
>> efforts, or is there any interesting difference?
>
>    Yes, I would like to see IEEE 802.1 define "non-inclusive" and
> "insensitive"
> before they go about requiring the replacement of terms.

Ack, thanks.

> I will have to see
> about insisting on that.
>
>    There was a back channel effort by an IESG member to get IEEE 802.11 to
> change the term "master key" in their standard and I put the kibosh on it
> because that is just blind substitution of words without thinking. A
> "master
> key" is a term of art that derives from locksmithing. There is nothing
> insensitive about that term and it defies reason to say that some class of
> people have been excluded from locksmithing, and by inference will be
> excluded
> from wi-fi, because this term was used.
>
>    You seem to think I'm against these efforts.

Well, I wasn't counting you as an enthusiast:-) As it happens
I think being skeptical is entirely fine, whilst I personally
think it's probably ok for us to do this.

I'm unsure if looking for definitions is a good way to try
constrain this or not. I suspect it's not, and that general
guidance and a few example improvements might be better.

> I'm not against making our
> documents more clear, more precise, and more accessible.

Yep. I also think there are pretty clear improvements we can
make. I guess s/blacklist/blocklist/g is the clearest in most
cases I can think of, but there'll for sure be some cases
that are tricky. I think that's ok if the guidance is well
given.

> I'm against blind
> word substitution and I'm against banning of certain words.

I'm also against "banning." That's based on my background
when as a youth I grew up in an environment where censorship,
more of discussion topics than specific words, was common.
So I'd hate to see us end up with a blocklist of bad strings.
But I don't think that's where this is headed.

Cheers,
S.