Subject: [Gendispatch] New draft: draft-rescorla-auto-minutes-00
From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
To: GENDISPATCH List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2025 01:33:09 -0700
List-Id: General Area Dispatch <gendispatch.ietf.org>

Greetings fellow gendispatchers,

Have you ever taken minutes for a WG? Have you ever been the chair
desperately begging for someone to take minutes? Have you ever been
the person sitting in the front row refusing to look the chair in the
eye while they desperately tried to get someone to take minutes? It
doesn't have to be that way.

For the past several years we have routinely made audio and video
recordings of WG sessions, which also include transcriptions, thus
providing a record of what happened in each WG session, and avoiding
the need for manual transcription. To that end, my co-authors and I
have published the following draft:

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/di.html

This draft recognizes the practice of using the automated transcript
as a starting point for the minutes (with the chairs having the final
approval, of course), and asks the IETF LLC to make a few small
changes to the tools to facilitate that practice.

-Ekr