[Gendispatch] Meetings summary

Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net> Tue, 13 October 2020 20:17 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: gendispatch@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 15:17:28 -0500
Subject: [Gendispatch] Meetings summary

Here is a summary of what your chairs have concluded is the result of
the two virtual interim meetings we held on the issue of terminology in
IETF technical work generally, and draft-knodel-terminology,
draft-gondwana-effective-terminology, and
draft-moore-exclusionary-language specifically. We'll allow a couple of
weeks for discussion of these conclusions on the list before we report
back to Alissa the group's final recommendation on how we think this
ought to be dispatched.

--

First, we find that there was rough support in both meetings for
creating a document containing recommendations on terminology to use in

After extensive discussion, there were objections by the end of the
first meeting to making the output of this work AD-sponsored, with a
preference for a quick-spin-up WG. In the second meeting, there was more
ambivalence as to whether AD-sponsored or quick-spin WG would be better.
Putting this together, we think the rough consensus within the meetings
was to have a quick-spin WG.

There was rough support in both meetings for recommending a broader
discussion and resulting document on inclusivity beyond the terminology,
but there were many concerns for how to structure such work in a WG and
have it be successful. Several suggestions were made to have the IAB
sponsor such work as part of their program on "Diversity, Inclusion, and
Growth". The thought was that perhaps a discussion there could generate
a path forward for IETF work.

We found a clear outcome in both meetings that draft-knodel has too much
controversial discussion to be the basis of a document for the above
mentioned quick-spin WG on terminology. There was rough support for
recommending the use of draft-gondwana as a starting point.

--

We are looking for a two important things in the discussion here on the
list. First, if you have read the minutes of the meetings and believe

Thanks for everyone's participation,

Pete and Francesca

[1] In case you haven't seen the IETF use of that term before:
Interminable and often useless or off-topic discussion, as if to fall
into a messy pit made by a rat.