Re: [Gendispatch] I-D Action: draft-nottingham-where-does-that-come-from-00.txt

"Rodney W. Grimes" <ietf@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> Mon, 15 March 2021 13:27 UTC

From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <ietf@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 06:27:05 -0700
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, gendispatch@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gendispatch] I-D Action: draft-nottingham-where-does-that-come-from-00.txt

Gendisp, etc,
	Three comments inline marked [RWG].
Regards,
Rod

> Mark, I think the whole game with domains is a mistake.
> As others have said, the content (drafts, RFCs, ...) is mirrored in
> multiple places.  And we want people to do that.
>
> Also, when it comes to drafts, it is actually important that individual
> drafts aimed at a working group be known to and easily visible by the
> working group.  So if folks are using things like the datatracker WG
> summary page, the drafts need to be there.  At which point putting them
> in a different domain is completely worthelss.
>
> I don't object to putting logos on  different stream RFCs.  I don't know
> that it will help much.

[RWG] I agree that iw wont help much, but perhaps a pre/post very
concise clear statement of the status of a document might help.
People outside the IETF may not even know to look up in the corner
as to what the status: experimental/informational/etc actually means.

> Note that none of your changes would seem to help much with the most
> common consufion, namely informational or experimental IETF RFCs being
> treated as Standards Track RFCs by external promoters.  And no, I do not
> think the right answer is to remove Informational or Experimental RFCs.
>
> And we already see folks (maybe deliberately, maybe accidentally)
> confusing individual or WG Internet Drafts with RFCs.  Even though any
> form of reference is completely different.

[RWG] I have actually seen a rather large open source project propose
adopting an Individual Draft as a policy as if the IETF had
published that work as an RFC.  This is a dangeriously bad state
of affairs and is worth spending some time thinking about how
the IETF can minimize such mistakes.

> I don't see most of this document as usefully improving much of any of
> the many problems I have seen.
>
> Yours,
> Joel
>
> PS: At least in my experience, folks don't generally conflate or
> misrepresent either IRTF or Independent Stream documents with IETF
> product.  Maybe if we could figure out why not, we could get more
> leverage for actually solving the problem.
>
> PPS: My recommendation would be to not dispatch this document.

[RWG]  Would it be worth creating a better document, or is this
a solution in need of a problem?