Re: [Gendispatch] Meetings summary

Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net> Wed, 14 October 2020 16:42 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: gendispatch@ietf.org
Cc: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 11:42:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [Gendispatch] Meetings summary

Replying to Jay's message, but really this is to everyone and applies
across WGs:

On 13 Oct 2020, at 19:06, Jay Daley wrote:

> Dan
>
> Noting that I have absolutely no authority in this matter, either
> directly or indirectly, but that the emerging consensus is that I
> should be free to contribute to areas where I have no authority, I
> want to state that I think your message below has crossed a line of
> tolerable behaviour, even with a generous interpretation of "robust
> discourse".

Jay, there's nothing in your reply that I can really disagree with.
However, when this kind of disruptive behavior happens on the list, the
best plan of action is to drop a note to the chairs and let them address
it. According to RFC 3934, the normal course of action is for the chairs
to first talk to the person privately. Often, people do take it to heart
and the behavior stops. (I always hope that doing so not only stops the
behavior, but generates a public, "Sorry about that; didn't mean to be
disruptive." Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.) Only if the
behavior then continues do we get to the public warning or eventual
suspension. While I appreciate that others publicly calling out bad
behavior does show that others disagree with it too, it can lead to
arguments on the list that are equally disruptive to getting work done.

Please give your chairs a chance to deal with disruptions on the list
(in this WG or any other). I understand that it sometimes takes a bit of
time for the chairs to get together to address these things (Francesca
and I are in different time zones, so it took more than half a day for
us to get our message together and sent out), but dealing with these
things is (part of) why your chairs are here. Of course, if your chairs
don't respond appropriately, there are other avenues (bringing it to the
AD, bringing it to the Ombudsteam if the behavior is a bit more
interpersonal) and you should feel free to use them. Doing so also gives
the chairs a learning opportunity so they can address these things
better in the future. But direct (and public) confrontations by other
participants rarely lead to better behavior and work moving forward.

Again, I understand the good intentions of sending this sort of note,
but in the long run I think having chairs deal with these sorts of
incidents leads to better outcomes.

Thanks.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best