Re: [Gendispatch] another possibly problematic word

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Tue, 08 September 2020 18:24 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 06:24:46 +1200
Cc: "gendispatch@ietf.org" <gendispatch@ietf.org>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: [Gendispatch] another possibly problematic word

I haven't lived in the UK for over 10 years but when I was there this was not archaic but was sort of regional (London and surrounding area + criminal culture such as prisons, gritty TV shows) and common parlance in that context.  I was surprised when I discovered the security usage in my 20s but I’ve never considered there to be much chance of confusion between the two communities that use the word differently.

Jay