Re: [Geopriv] The 's' in HELD

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Wed, 30 April 2008 23:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:23:06 -0500
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>, Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] The 's' in HELD
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks all for the explanation, but that was all I was looking for.

Speaking about the proposed; I like the concept.  Flexibility and such a
small change...

I do wonder whether there is any potential for interoperability problems
if the same URI is used for both TLS and unadorned TCP sessions.  If
there's no real problem with mixing the two, then I'm all for the
change; otherwise, let's leave be and leave implementations to agree
(amoungst themselves) to use TLS_NULL_WITH_NULL_NULL if they want to.

Cheers,
Martin

p.s. The 's' smells bad, but I can live with worse (c.f.
emergencyRouting/emergencyDispatch).

considerations,
> > only supported by implementations.  The mandates in the security
> > considerations are in the form "IF you want this security property,
> THEN
> > use TLS", the usual MO in IETF docs.
> >
> > Am I understanding the document correctly, or is there some other
> > section that specifies that TLS MUST be used on every transaction.
> >
> > If TLS is not required, then here are some proposed (minor) changes:
> > 1. Add "When TLS is used, ..." to the third sentence in the above
> > paragraph, in order to clarify that the requirement is not absolute.
> > 2. Change the "HELDS" URI scheme back to "HELD"
> >
> > --Richard
> >

> > Richard Barnes wrote:
> >> Is TLS really used for every HELD transaction, as opposed to being
> >> available for every transaction?  This seems to be a deviation from
> >> the normal pattern for Internet protocols to have a base protocol
> >> without TLS and an (mandatory) option to use TLS as desired.  More
> >> importantly, it seems like TLS might be undesirable in some
> >> circumstances, e.g., emergency calling.
> >>
> >> Is there a reason for this extra-strong requirement?
> >>
> >> --RB

> was

> TLS
> > have an extra 's'?