Re: [Geopriv] Proposal for uncertainty

"Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz> Tue, 27 May 2014 15:42 UTC

From: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz>
To: Roger Marshall <RMarshall@telecomsys.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 15:40:38 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.33.192.21]
Cc: GEOPRIV WG <geopriv@ietf.org>, Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Proposal for uncertainty

No mechanism to collect location, especially civic location, is error free.

There is a statistical probability a civic location supplied as “THE” location of some target is incorrect.
It might be a small probability, it may be hard to calculate what it is, but there is some probability.

With enough data, it IS possible to quantify the error.  I think we will be able to do that in environments like emergency calling.

So, I’d like to see some language addressing the issue.

Brian