Re: [Geopriv] draft-ietf-geopriv-lbyr-requirements-02 ???

"Roger Marshall" <RMarshall@telecomsys.com> Tue, 01 April 2008 19:37 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 12:37:36 -0700
From: Roger Marshall <RMarshall@telecomsys.com>
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] draft-ietf-geopriv-lbyr-requirements-02 ???
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

The following summarizes the second of the three original subj:
questions, Q1,Q2,Q3:

Q2.

...about draft-ietf-geopriv-lbyr-requirements-01
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 4:24 PM, Fr: James M. Polk

> Section 5.1 has this requirement
>
> "
> C4. Random Generated:  The location URI MUST be hard to
> guess, i.e., it MUST contain a cryptographically random component.
>
> Motivation: There is some benefit to the client if the
> location URI is generated in an obscured manner so that its
> sequence, for example in the case of a client's location
> update, can't be easy guessed.
> "
>
> Why does this need to be cryptographically random?
>
> As long as my badge number is "3199", why can't my LbyR URI be
>
>          sips:cisco3199.cisco.com
>
> The domain part is already revealed in the URI...[cut]

The last of many emails discussing this was on 3/03... (btwn, James P.,
Barbara S., Richard B.).  Based on that discussion, and some earlier R*
text from Richard Barnes, the current requirements draft (-02) contains
the following resolution to Q2:

   C4. [Deleted, replaced by C8,C9,C10]:

   C8. Location URI Anonymous:  The location URI MUST NOT reveal any
      information about the Target other than it's location.

      Motivation: A user should have the option to control how much
      information is revealed about them.  This provides that control by
      not forcing the inclusion of other information with location,
      (e.g., to not include any identification information in the
      location URI.)

   C9. Location URI Not guessable:  Location URIs that do not require
      authentication and authorization MUST NOT be guessable, based on
      the use of a cryptographically random sequence somewhere within
      the URI.  (Note that the number of bits depends to some extent on
      the number of active location URIs that might exist at the one
      time; 128-bit is most likely enough for the short term.)

      Motivation: Location URIs without access control reveal private
      information, and a guessable location URI could be easily
      exploited to obtain private information.

   C10.  Location URI Optional:  In the case of user-provided
      authorization policies, where anonymous or non-guessable location
      URIs are not warranted, the location configuration protocol MAY
      support optional location URI forms.

      Motivation: Users don't always have such strict privacy
      requirements, but may opt to specify their own location URI, or
      components thereof.

I'm not currently aware of any further comments received on the list
concerning this approach and language.

-roger marshall.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review, forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete it and all attachments from your computer and network.